How to Guide: Rankings tool
The Rankings tool is a great way to track the rankings for your product! Or you can track your competitors to see how they ranking.
In this article:
- Q: How can I best utilize this tool?
- Rankings tool Guide with Video
- Step-by-Step Guide to Adding a Product in the Rankings tab
- Q: How do I use Tags to organize my products?
- Q: How do I sort products by their tags?
- Q: What happens if I 'star' a product?
Q: How can I best utilize this tool?
For a seller, tracking where your product is ranking on Amazon is essential. The higher your products rankings are in the Amazon search results is key to high volume sales.
What is this ranking? The Rankings tab track how your product is ranking for that keyword, when entered into the Amazon search bar. It is not category specific, just the straight up search function results.
Know Your Keyword Rankings: If you know where you rankings are then you can work to improve them. Or if you're already at the top of the rankings for your target keyword, then you can work on ranking for another keyword, increasing the chances of your product showing in the search results of Amazon.
Track Changes In Rankings: A change in rankings, be it an increase or decrease is an indication that something has happen. Having this information at your fingertips allows you to take targeted action to improve them immediately. If you are running a ART Deals Community Promotional offer, then you can use the Rankings tool to see how these sales are working towards improving your targeted keyword rankings.
Target New Keywords: You can add new potential keywords to the tool and assess their viability for targeting them in your Amazon listing. The keyword volume (data from monthly Google search data) will give you an indication of the monthly search volume, which you can use to determine if its worth targeting. Higher volume keywords are more likely to be used by Amazon customers, however higher volume can also mean higher competition. Sometimes it will be harder to rank for these and you might be better to go after the 'low hanging fruit', such as a keyword with a less search volume and therefore lesser competition.
Track Competitors Potential Keywords: You can add any product, such as your competitors or a new item you're looking to do market research on in the Rankings tool. Add the keywords you think they're targeting, or compare it to the same one as yours and see how they rank. Not sure what keywords they're after, look at their product title and description. I'm sure you'll notice some phrases of interest in their listing.
We have a great guide on how to use the Rankings tool.
Step-by-Step Guide to Adding a Product in the Rankings Tool
- Click on the Rankings tab.
- Click on 'Add Product'.
- Enter your ASIN, or copy and paste the product URL from Amazon.
- You can add multiple product at once.
- Please limit this to around 10 or there may be issues added the products.
- Select the correct Amazon marketplace for your product.
- If necessary add a 'Tag' to your product.
- See more about what Tags are here.
- If necessary un-tick the 'Track Parent Product and All Variations' checkbox.
- See more details about how to setup a parent and child ASIN situation here.
- Click 'Add Product'
- You will return to the Rankings tab. A popup message will appear to acknowledge how many products were added.
- Scroll to the bottom of your Rankings tab and you should see the added product will show as grey while it collects data.
- Check back in a few minutes to see the data.
This completes the process to add a product to the Rankings tab. However now you need to add some keywords so you can track your Rankings.
- Click on the '+' icon to add keywords.
- A popup window will appear.
- If you have previously added a similar product with keywords you also want to track, then select the product you want from the dropdown list.
- Add any keywords you want to track in the text box. Please put one keyword per line.
- Check that the Amazon marketplace is still correct to the countries this ASIN belongs to. If not update it from the dropdown list.
- Click on 'Add Keywords'.
- A popup message will appear to advise the number of keywords add to tracking. Click on the popup window to close this message.
- Check back in 5 minutes to see your rankings.
Further tips of how to use the different features of this tool.
Q: How do I use Tags to organize my products?
Tags are a great way to manage and organize your products in AMZ Tracker, particularly if you're tracking a lot of products in each tool. Tags can help you group your products by category, by seller and more.
If you're adding a product for the first time: While adding your product, enter as many tags as you'd like in the 'Tags' field. Be sure to separate each tag with a comma.
If you've already added the product:
- Find the product you want to tag (it doesn't matter which tool you're currently using).
- Click on the pencil icon in the right column. It will say 'Edit Product' when you hover your mouse over the icon.
- In the 'Tags' field of the pop-up window, enter as many tags as you'd like for the product. Be sure to separate each tag with a comma.
- Click 'Save'.
Q: How do I sort products by their tags?
Once you've created tags for your products, you can sort them by tag while using any of AMZ Tracker's tools. Here's how:
- Click the drop-down menu in the top of your window that says 'All Products'.
- Select the tag for the products you wish to see.
- Now the tool will only display the products that match the tag you've selected.
- To choose a new tag or to go back to displaying all products, you can click on the drop-down menu in the top of your window at any time.
Q: What happens if I 'star' a product?
If you have certain products that you would like to be the first products shown in any of AMZ Tracker's tools, you can click the small star icon to the left of the product image. The next time you return to the tool, all 'starred' items will be displayed first. You can also 'un-star' a product at any time.